Monday, May 30, 2011

Memories on Memorial Day

Last night as my husband and I watched the great Memorial Day Concert at the Capitol in D.C., my mind began to travel back in time to those in my family who served our country.  Let Freedom Ring!  The concert and program were amazing.

First, I will touch on my biological father, largely absent from my growing up years.  For some reason, I can't locate his photo anywhere, but here's the scooop:

He and my mother were divorced when I was a baby.   Dewey Earnest Winters was in the armed services even before he met my mother; when World War Two ended, it was only a short few years before he was back in the thick of the fighting in the Korean War.  He got shrapnel in his leg.  I now own the flag that was presented at his funeral and I was able to get his military records and medals, also, through the National Archives Web site.  I honor my father, Dewey, today.

Brother of Dewey Winters: A.W. Winters and Wife

Thanks to the volunteer who had this posted.  I have misplaced my own photo.

No comments: