Saturday, December 01, 2012

Happy Birthday Gatherings are a Positive Experience

I had a great time, tonight, helping my son celebrate his birthday.  He hadn't had the best week of his life, or of this day, but bravely, he chose to share with us this family tradition where we all (as many as are available) get together.  I think my mom and dad had given us kids the example to follow.  The only mistake they made was in letting me lead the way in planning the occasion!

I remember one time, my mother said I could invite some classmates to my tenth or eleventh birthday party.  I invited the whole seventh grade!  Seriously.  I don't think my parents knew that I had done this.  Just before the party, my mother had to go to the hospital--right now, I couldn't tell you what the situation was.  Anyway, a neighbor offered to help my dad go ahead with the party.

Wow!  Did she have a surprise!  People just kept arriving.  My dad was giving horse rides--no Thunder or maybe it was Stormy--was a full grown horse.  The kids, my friends, most of whom I had known from first grade, were loving it.  We didn't think about liability those days.  Or at least, if my dad thought of it, he never shared with me.  I'm pretty sure that our neighbor never forgot that day, as she tried to replenish the food table! 

But tonight was different.  My grandchildren (the three that live here in the area) were in good spirits.  My son, Kevin, participated and my Birthday son's wish was to eat at a pizza parlour in Destin, (Graffitti), which was fine with all.  After all, you only turn 49, once!  Richard, the birthday boy, will always be young at heart.  These days, I don't think any of us look at age quite the way my parents did, possibly.  The older generation is living longer and healthier.  It's hard for me to believe that just 17 years ago, when I turned fifty, I was sure I could care less.  Surprise, surprise!  A dark cloud of depression met me on the day of my birthday.  I couldn't shake it; my body knew and my brain knew that I was about to head over the hill.

Whatever happens in life, it is good to know that you have family who care about you.  Every birthday is good if you still have some family or friends to share it.  And if you don't, then you just have to invite folks who need a laugh at your expense! 

Torineats
This is Richard's son.  He's seventeen now, but this picture is a couple of years old, I believe. 

Posted via email from Margaret's posterous

No comments: