Saturday, November 09, 2019

A Prayer for myself and others

We Can All Do Something to Serve
I met a lady today whose 46 year old daughter is suffering from Guillian-Barre Syndrome.  It is thought to be a viral disease.  Here is a link with more info: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/guillain-barre-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20362793.

Anyway, this mother shared with me the challenges that she and her family had been experiencing as they have watched the awful struggles of her grown daughter who has 3 daughters of her own.  I have to hope and pray that their load continues to be lightened by the many angels who have been helpful so far: the doctors, the medical folks (nurses, etc.) and the practitioners, aides, etc. at the local rehab where the daughter is residing currently.

The other bit of info that kind of hit me, somewhat: This same daughter also has leukemia and has been treated by my very own cancer doctors.  How blessed we are, in this day and age, to be able to have our lives lengthened by the amazing progress of science and treatment...even my own battles with Non-Hodgkins Disease.  Someone told me recently that they knew someone with that ailment just five or six years ago and that person didn't live very long.  I was first diagnosed in 2005!

I am of the belief that all good things come from God, our Heavenly Father.  We have the opportunity and privilege of performing very tiny miracles each and every day, thanks to our Savior Jesus Christ.  We are His Hands.  Maybe we won't be the scientist that discovers a cure for some awful disease, but we can and should lighten the burdens that are borne by those we come into contact with.  In whatever capacity, with whatever talents or gifts we my have access to.

I'm so wrapped up in my own little world, my own complaints and challenges.  I needed that reminder today that "go and do something, today" is possible for most of us to perform even if we only make someone's load lighter in some very small way!

 Lyrics:
1. Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone's burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

 

 

No comments: