Friday, August 06, 2010

The Case of the Missing Blueberries

What do you do when you get home from the grocery store and at some point, discover that an item is missing?  I, having no sense at all, and forgetting that Thursday was the first day of school, entered the familiar doors of Wal-Mart, to "get a few things".  Famous last words, right?  Seriously, though, as I proceeded to get an empty cart (I'm not a cart-stealer, people), saw hoards of folks in long lines at the checkout, with loads of paper, pencil, book bags, etc..  I immediately promised myself that I would limit my purchases to less than 20; the speedy lanes were moving right along.

In order to be true blue to "moi", I focused on two freezer rows and the adjacent produce section.  I needed peaches to make that cobbler that my daughter had told me about; the store had a ton of them and they looked really pretty decent.  I could taste that cobbler already!  I also grabbed two bunches of fresh broccoli -- I had been craving the little green trees, lately.  Then, I bumped into an array or display of wonderful blueberries on sale!  What's more the fruit came not from the distant lands of South America, but from just down the road in Headland, Alabama. I love blueberries with a passion; a pint of them for $1.50 was all I allowed myself.  Even though you can't get too much of a good thing, I didn't want to spoil myself too much.  What more could I want?  Well, I did have to pick up some ice cream to go with the blueberries and I picked three freezer dinners for protein.

I headed for the "20 Items or Under" lane and took my place three people away from the register.  As I stood there, I witnessed two, three, four children with school supplies, fly past me and dump their stuff into their mother's cart, just ahead of me.  Since her cart now held maybe a hundred items, I moved over to another fast lane and commiserated with the lady in front of me who had also seen this what happened.

I made it home safely, the thoughts of blueberries with ice cream soothing my troubled spirit.  My son helped me bring in the groceries (only ten items, mind you), unload and put them up.  Arriving at home is always a shock for me; it's as if all the things that require my attention suddenly rush out at me.  First one thing and then another prevented me from eating my dessert, but finally it was my turn to rest.  I looked in the fridge to get the blueberries but they were nowhere to be found.  I asked my son, Kevin, if he had seen them and put them up.  He thought he had put them in the fridge.  I looked again, moving the milk and mayo, checking the far back corners, and even looking in the freezer and the cabinet.  No blueberries anywhere!

I was so ticked that I ate two of the peaches originally purchased for the cobbler I was going to make.  I ate one peach the old fashioned way (washed, then straight into my mouth); yes, I did take off the little sticker.  The other peach got cut up and put on my ice cream.

Guess where I will be going, tomorrow?  Wally World, here I come.  Blueberries and peaches will be at the top of my list.  

No comments: