Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Daniel Levitin on our musical brain | Human World | EarthSky

Daniel Levitin on our musical brain | Human World | EarthSky: "- Sent using Google Toolbar"

Why I don't listen to music more often: Music sounds such a deep chord in my being that I feel that I can't maintain control. Tears and emotional upheaval might be cathartic to my soul, but when the psyche is held together with band-aids and safety pins, I don't want to risk it.

I dearly love music of the right variety and type; it does set the pace for creative juices to flow, but I have to be judicious in which music to listen to. I enjoy lighthearted (but not silly) music, something that will pick me up off the floor and get me going. Marches are so thrilling! Maybe a little military, though, rather than lighthearted. I used to love to listen to Barry Manilow and Roger Whitaker. I can sing along with the ballads those two produced . I am inspired by Josh Groban, exhilarated by certain show tunes (think "Music of the Night"). And Adam Lambert really gets me sometimes; he draws me in on some of his songs.

No comments: