Thursday, November 21, 2013

Is the Internet Eating Up My Time, Energy, and Soul?

Here's a link to an article that I half read this morning:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s42/sh/b9ccb799-9bc0-4486-b84b-3968c88bc9f9/06709efc60595c6a3a066413b238c6fb

Some very thought provoking statements are made in this article.  In short, I encourage you to read and highlight those that make an impact on you. 

Is it the nature of social networking to distract us from reality?  Is social networking bad in and of itself?  How should we use social networking to complement our lives?  What other Internet activities might be more worthwhile?

I often have to limit my time on the Internet as I do "have a life".  So, what time I do spend on social networking should be limited, also, right? Making a plan for my day and assessing my priorties should come first and I can consciously make a decision of how much time to spend "sharing", reading posts on Facebook, tweeting, etc. 

Family History is one of the things I enjoy doing on the Internet, but is it a replacement for me actually getting things done in my life that are just as important? 

Visiting with a neighbor, calling an old friend, cleaning my house, taking time for prayer---these are worthwhile and consume time and effort.  I think sometimes that the more I watch television, the more I read a book on Kindle, the more time I spend on the Internet, the less time I'm actually moving around, the less time I'm becoming who I want to be and the less time I'm serving the Lord.

No comments: