Saturday, April 27, 2019

I memorized this poem years ago.




Abou Ben Adhem:

Some thoughtful teacher in my past (I'm afraid that I've forgotten her name), but I think it was in the eighth grade at Pryor Jr. High School when she challenged her class to memorize this (and other poems).  I did follow her directive and have never regretted it.

I would also challenge you to follow suit: memorize the poem!  Every poem you memorize becomes your property forever.  And there are just some truths that you can know and explore via poetry, so much better than if you had just read a sentence in the scriptures.

Of course, there are scriptures that read like poetry, as well. 

Read the poem, here, and let me hear back from you: thoughts, comments and tell me if you remember this wonderful teacher's name!


No comments: